Re: "Boston" Summit 2013?

    They are open source based startups. They call themselves open source
    projects.

They probably do that because they support the open source philosophy.
By saying "open source" they encourage others to think that way too.

Conversely, the way to encourage others to think about free/libre
software and freedom is by saying "free software".  Others will say
what they wish; we should say "free" and "libre".

    If people from open source software projects want to join us at a GNOME
    event to learn more about GNOME, we should welcome them.

Of course.  We welcome those people's participation, whether it be
using GNOME, learning about GNOME, promoting GNOME, or contributing to
GNOME.  We accept support from those companies too.

But we do have to take care to avoid a possible way things can go
wrong: that they might influence the discussion around GNOME such that
GNOME too seems to be aligned with "open source".  It is easy to avoid
this; it just requires that we pay attention.  Thus, I remind people
to pay attention.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation