Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 14:25 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 09:21 -0400, Allan Day wrote:
>> > It would be great to be able to run something like Bip [1] for GNOME IRC.
>>
>> Note, it's of course NOT OK to publish public logs of IRC channels (or
>> any other discussion forum) unless ALL the participants understand that
>> this will happen and agree to it.
>
> If people enter an IRC channel they likely understand that it's a public
> place, as other people are also around in that IRC channel.
> Mailing lists archive all postings and make them available for public,
> bugtracker comments are also visible for everybody. I think we state
> this piece of information when people subscribe/get an account.
>
> What makes IRC different so that it's "not ok" to have public logs?
>
> Which actions fulfil the need to make all participants understand that
> logging happens? An URL to the IRC log in the channel summary?

Perhaps in the subject line ?

I don't know... if you visit a logged channel you probably know it...
a good example is temporary channels opened for the purpose
of meetings.

> Asking as I haven't seen a good argument yet against logging IRC
> conversations.

I think it's nice that we still have places we can feel more or
less relaxed about horsing around and taking it easy. IRC is still
a nice place where you can be yourself, again more-or-less at least
(remember, GNOME irc is not strictly filled with professionals, companies
may come and go, but GNOME remains because of the people
who contribute in the long run, at least that's what I think...).

If #gnome-hackers was publicly logged, I'd probably have to consider
wearing a tie before entering the channel, and my conversation would
probably get much more formal... I might even be at risk of spelling
everything properly.

Let's do protect these remaining niceties which we have left.

/me cracks open a beer in #gnome-hackers and kicks his feet up on the table

Cheers,
        -Tristan