Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 14:25 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 09:21 -0400, Allan Day wrote:
> > It would be great to be able to run something like Bip [1] for GNOME IRC.
>
> Note, it's of course NOT OK to publish public logs of IRC channels (or
> any other discussion forum) unless ALL the participants understand that
> this will happen and agree to it.

If people enter an IRC channel they likely understand that it's a public
place, as other people are also around in that IRC channel.
Mailing lists archive all postings and make them available for public,
bugtracker comments are also visible for everybody. I think we state
this piece of information when people subscribe/get an account.

What makes IRC different so that it's "not ok" to have public logs?

Which actions fulfil the need to make all participants understand that
logging happens? An URL to the IRC log in the channel summary?

Asking as I haven't seen a good argument yet against logging IRC
conversations.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net