Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 18:02 -0700, Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
[...]
> FWIW, I would like us to have public IRC logs.  But if a hacker (or
> group of them) have privacy concern, we should not dismiss it because
> IRC is already public.
+1

We have public logged IRC channels at work, but...
(1) people need to know this (e.g. a channel greet message)
(2) there has to be a way to say things off the record, e.g. by
prefixing what you say with [off]; at work we generally use actions
(/me) for that, but I prefer [off] for public channels
(3) the logs should not reveal people's full IP addresses or identity.
People need to be able to join the channel, see that it's logged, and
leave.
(4) it may be appropriate for the log not to become public in real time
- e.g. I've encountered a case of someone being stalked based on when
they signed off.

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition of "Beginning XML", Wrox, July 2012