Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

Hi Lefty,

Le dimanche 17 janvier 2010, à 21:45 -0800, Lefty (石鏡 ) a écrit :
> On 1/17/10 9:30 PM, "Jonathon Jongsma" <jonathon quotidian org> wrote:
> >
> >As far as I an tell, there has been essentially no controversy
> whatsoever about
> >any of this until you and Philip seemingly started
> trying to drum one up.  What
> >exactly are you even trying to change?  Is
> there an official GNOME position
> >statement that you object to?
> Something on a gnome.org website somewhere?  What
> >exactly are we
> actually talking about here?
>
> I'm sorry, Jonathon, I thought that was clear. Stormy proposed the following
> statement on behalf of GNOME in her message of this past Friday on this
> thread:

I think Jonathon's point [1] is that the initial mail triggered some
discussion that (I believe) many people see as
off-topic/not-interesting/whatever, even before Stormy proposed a
statement. When I read the beginning of the thread again, it's indeed
not really clear why all this is being discussed -- especially on
foundation-list, instead of private mails.

I'm not saying that a potential statement from the Foundation on this
topic as a result of this discussion is useless [2], but in general, our
community is not a big fan of debating "open source" vs "free" since it
doesn't really help GNOME move forward.

We're a technical community, and such threads are just ignored by most
of our community since it's not technical stuff. In the GNOME project,
we're usally all happy with both "free software" and "open source"
contributors as long as their contributions are following our traditions
or rules or guidelines or...

And don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anybody who contributed to the
discussion, just explaining why people might feel this way about this
thread.

Vincent

[1] Apologies to Jonathon if I misunderstand his point :-)
[2] It could clarify things, especially for newcomers who might not know
    the project history well.

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.