Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

Dave, Philip,

Can you take this one offline unless there's another point you'd like to discuss with the whole Foundation list?

Stormy

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Philip Van Hoof <pvanhoof gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 18:57 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

> Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > I fully agree with this statement if you replace free software with open
> > source.
>
> Please stop trolling. This is not going to lead to anything productive
> (again).

As Lefty is clarifying here, this isn't trolling at all:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2010-January/msg00041.html

I think the discussion about replacing free software with open source
has actually produced a very fruitful discussion and is creating a
productive outcome.

> > This is an excerpt of a private E-mail that Lefty sent me. The survey's
> > results are open for everybody so this ain't a secret anyway:
> >
> > "There's about twice the uptake for the term "open source software" as
> >  there is for "free software"."
> >
> > If the board respects the results of the survey, which I think it should
> > do, it takes this into account.

> How about I do a poll whether people think PCs should run Windows or
> another desktop environment? If we respect the results we should stop
> developing GNOME.

Surveys should be conducted among foundation members. Not all PC users.

And when you represent my views, it's helpful to acknowledge what I
wrote in front of your reply in the same discussion thread.

> On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 18:05 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> > Although I would accept that the foundation board has a decisive
> > role in this. Why else do we elect you guys and don't replace you
> > with surveys?

> Isn't leading by survey one of the issues you had with the Bush & Blair
> administrations?

This is completely besides the point.

(When did I say this, anyway? - reply privately -)

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be