Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 18:57 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

> Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > I fully agree with this statement if you replace free software with open
> > source.
>
> Please stop trolling. This is not going to lead to anything productive
> (again).

As Lefty is clarifying here, this isn't trolling at all:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2010-January/msg00041.html

I think the discussion about replacing free software with open source
has actually produced a very fruitful discussion and is creating a
productive outcome.

> > This is an excerpt of a private E-mail that Lefty sent me. The survey's
> > results are open for everybody so this ain't a secret anyway:
> >
> > "There's about twice the uptake for the term "open source software" as
> >  there is for "free software"."
> >
> > If the board respects the results of the survey, which I think it should
> > do, it takes this into account.

> How about I do a poll whether people think PCs should run Windows or
> another desktop environment? If we respect the results we should stop
> developing GNOME.

Surveys should be conducted among foundation members. Not all PC users.

And when you represent my views, it's helpful to acknowledge what I
wrote in front of your reply in the same discussion thread.

> On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 18:05 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> > Although I would accept that the foundation board has a decisive
> > role in this. Why else do we elect you guys and don't replace you
> > with surveys?

> Isn't leading by survey one of the issues you had with the Bush & Blair
> administrations?

This is completely besides the point.

(When did I say this, anyway? - reply privately -)

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be