Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Mukund Sivaraman <muks banu com> wrote:
Hi Stormy

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:36:41AM -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:
> We are talking about GNOME hosted platforms. Planet GNOME,
> blogs.gnome.organd the GNOME mailing lists are all forums we host and
> I think we can (and
> do) expect a certain standard of conduct on them. For example, if someone
> started spamming the Foundation list, we would block them.

Would you agree that things such as filtering for spam (on lists, IRC,
etc.), and removal of badly behaving people already happen, and these
are not specific to GNOME foundation members?  It should be commonsense
to anyone that bad signal/noise will be punished, when other peers
don't like it.

When bad behaviour happens we talk about it a lot but nothing happens. As Dave says, people (good contributors in many cases) just leave.

How does requiring GNOME foundation members to sign this document help?

Making it explicit the behaviour we want. Hopefully this would cause greater self policing and peer control and eliminate the unwanted behaviour.

Stormy