Re: What do you think of the foundation?

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 05:13:44PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 06/02/2009 05:56 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
>> - just doing something (infrastructure) is*way*  better than trying to
>>    discuss it on d-d-l. No idea why, maybe because I explain it badly,
>>    but I view discussing things on d-d-l as a waste of time.
>
> Which is not quite surprising.  You wouldn't get a better response if you

Not surprising as d-d-l is useless, but not because of the topic. IMO
things should be discussed beforehand to get consensus.

> go the main town market on a weekend and ask people what color you should
> paint your house.  The trick to asking questions in any forum is to
> filter informative, insightful, and relevant responses from the noise and
> act accordingly.  You *don't* need to make everyone happy or answer to
> everyone.

If you mean that d-d-l is basically a town hall where everyone is
shouting, yes I agree. However, the signal to noise ratio I see is loads
of noise, almost no signal. Really, I am never going to try and discuss
things anymore. It is pointless and makes me sad.
Yes, perhaps in the avalanche of messages there are a few useful ones.
Not worth the effort. Plus, there is no consensus (or not that I see).
Better to just skip the whole consensus part and force things through.

--
Regards,
Olav