Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 09:50 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
>> > This is about signal-to-noise ratio, not
>> > about keeping secrets.
>>
>> So why not just moderate the list?
>
> Because part of increasing signal-to-noise is giving those in a discussion a
> reasonable expectation that they do not have to advocate their position in
> public. When one is in a quiet, side-conversation amongst a few people,

There is no way that a discussion among the foundation member could be
classified as a "side conversation amongst a few people".  It will
always be a discussion among a few hundred people, even if only a few
are participating.

> there's a lower probability that people will reply just so that they have
> the last word in a conversation. And there's a lower probability that people
> will feel that their good name is being drug through the mud because someone
> doesn't agree with their ideas.
>
> In short: it changes the tone for the better.

I agree with what you're saying about a small conversation group
changing the tone for the better, but not that closing foundation list
would make it into a small conversation.
     Greg