Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
Given the excellent comments so far, I'm leaning towards retracting the proposal.  However, there's quite a few others who support it now.  So I let it move forward naturally.

No, do not detract it. There's a reason there's a debian-devel-private and a kde-private. Sometimes reaching concensus requires meeting behind closed doors away from the noise of those who are not as informed or involved as others. Look at any world democracy or any treaty negotiation. Having a -private will improve our process. This is about signal-to-noise ratio, not about keeping secrets. It doesn't matter if someone leaks the discussion; in fact, we should always behave on -private as though it could and should happen. It objective is to cohesively attain consensus amongst ourselves without constant, distracting nit-picking by others whose weight of opinion is not as equal as ours.