Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

On 15/12/2009, at 4:01 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Remember gnome-hackers? Mails get leaked all the time, and I doubt
moving foundation-list private would make any difference.

Sure. But at least someone needs to leak it. Currently any heated discussion is like a goldmine begging the trolls to dip into it.

I think it's generally worse when you just leak a single mail. At least folks can see the entire thread should they be interested in it.

FWIW, that's what KDE does. And we hardly hear about internal KDE issues in the news.

Or perhaps because they're less interesting from a foundation point of view? GNOME feels like it's cutting a lot more steps than KDE a lot of the time around the social part of the project.

GNOME needs to
continue to promote itself as a transparent and welcoming community,
which we do very very well for the most part. Let's be careful not to
throw all that progress away.

The net effect of that perceived transparency is that many discussions happen on private IRC messages or direct mail and never make it to foundation-list in fear of long threads and negative publicity.

I would submit that they would happen regardless of whether the thread was open or closed to be honest.

Glynn