Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster sun com> wrote:

> Remember gnome-hackers? Mails get leaked all the time, and I doubt moving
> foundation-list private would make any difference.

If a foundation member feels strongly enough about a topic to 'leak' a
thread from the proposed private foundation-list why would that be a
problem?  It's not as though we will have to sign NDAs for access.
Look at the most recent thread that prompted this discussion.  There
were probably four disparate topics going on in it and it was a
confused mess even for the participants.

By making foundation-list private a lot of confusion and bad press
could be avoided.

> GNOME needs to continue
> to promote itself as a transparent and welcoming community, which we do very
> very well for the most part. Let's be careful not to throw all that progress
> away.

I am not sure making one mailing list private out of dozens
immediately transmutes GNOME into a hostile environment.  For
transparency purposes all board meeting minutes, etc (the results of
the process of GNOME) could be cross posted to foundation-announce if
they are not already.  Meanwhile the brick-a-brack of hashing out
foundation issues at least has a chance to foment before being
published in a confused, half-baked.

I want to see a referendum for this issue happen so the entire
Foundation has the opportunity to decide the course of action.

Les