Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership

Le vendredi 11 décembre 2009, à 17:20 +0100, Philip Van Hoof a écrit :
> I propose to have a vote on GNOME's membership to the GNU project.

So, as far as I can tell, nobody is collecting a list of members who
support such a vote proposal. I still wanted to reply there.

For many of the reasons Dave wrote, I would believe splitting up from
the GNU project is a bad idea. Let me add a few things...

The GNOME Foundation itself is a free software supporter, and advocates
for free software, and I believe this reflects the opinion of the vast
majority of the GNOME community. So I would think it's safe to say that
this is the position of the GNOME project. As such, I think the GNOME
project definitely has its place in the GNU project, whose goal is to
create a free software operating system.

That doesn't mean the GNOME Foundation fights against non-free software
by saying that non-free software is bad and should not be used nor
exist. We have a policy of having the GNOME platform LGPL, and so it can
be used by non-free applications. We're happy this way. Our way to fight
against non-free software is by writing better code, that is free.

Also, the GNU project is not the FSF. When reading the thread, I have
the feeling that some people want the GNOME project to not be part of
the FSF, or to disagree with the FSF. The GNOME Foundation is part of
the FSF, and we sometimes disagree with the FSF, and we're all fine this
way. (Note that the FSF is an advisory board member of the GNOME
Foundation, though, and it's valuable one that we're happy to have). I
think Andy wrote more on this [1], but I didn't take the time to read
his post so I won't put words in his mouth :-)

Cheers,

Vincent

[1] http://wingolog.org/archives/2009/12/13/gnu-gnome-and-the-fsf

--