Re: Akademy+GUADEC *2009* Hosting Proposals

Hi Germán,

Great mail!

Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
> How much money is required by external sources (aka sponsors)?:
>
> Venue:
>   Tampere :  € 21,000 + part of € 70,000 (labour. how much?)
>   Canarias:  € 0
>   A Coruña:  € 0

I believe all sites will have labour costs (whether they budget for them
or not). I don't think it's reasonable to organise a GUADEC + aKademy
without having at least one person working at least part time
co-ordinating organisation.

> Travel grants:
>   How much money has been invested in this GUADEC for travel
>   grants this year? (US$ 60,000?).  For GUADEC+Akademy we should
>   expect to move more people (double?) and having less money for
>   that matter will be a big deal.

I don't know how much money is budgeted this year, last year it was
about $60,000. I have an impression that this year, with a slightly more
pricey accommodation option than we had in Villanova, for example, and
higher transport costs, we're sponsoring a smaller number of people in
total. I'd be interested in hearing from Baris about this.

If we don't double the sponsorship we can't double the amount we spend
on travel (you suggested this in your mail). We'll certainly increase
sponsorship, and we will make some savings on infrastructure, but
doublling it will be a toughh proposition.

>   According to the costs of Tampere:
>     They will have assigned a travel grant of €25,000 (US$39,215).
>
>   Canarias and A Coruña:
>     They doesn't give any number here, but because they can
>     invest (if they want to) almost all the money received
>     by sponsors for travel grants.

It would be a mistake to assume this - there *will* be labour costs. A
free venue is great, and a great argument, but in addition to transport
& accommodation costs, there is equipment rental, administration costs,
any sound & vision infrastructure needed, organisers expenses, swag,
social events...

> Expenses for participants:
>   Lunch:
>     Tampere : Between €5 - €25/day = Between €35 - €175/week.
>     A Coruña: Between €8 - €18/day = Between €56 - €126/week.
>     Canarias: €196/week.
>
>   Accommodations (the minimal cost provided):
>     Tampere : €71/day = €497/week
>     A Coruña: €15/day = €105/week
>     Canarias: Not given (yet?).
>
>   Summary cost per person:
>     Tampere : Between €532 - €672/week.
>     A Coruña: Between €161 - €231/week.
>     Canarias: It can't be calculated.

This is really important - and keeping these costs down will be a huge
argument in favour of a prospective host for me.

Concerning travel accommodation, my feeling has always been that the
organisers should ensure cheap, sponsored accommodation where
requested/needed (youth hostel, camp site, as in Stuttgart, Villanova
and the GTK+ Hackers Summit, for example), and if people are unhappy
with the option, it's reasonable for them to cover the extra cost
themselves. Hostel Sofia has an option for €24 per bed per night (61
beds), Hostel Uimahallin Maja has beds also at €24, and has 108 beds.
The Kesahotelli Harmala Hostel is near a campsite, 5km from the center
of town, which is a university residence, so likely has plenty of space.

The same goes for A Coruna and Tenerife, group reserving a hotel might
be easiest, but the youth hostel option is the best for offering people
a low-cost alternative. But you need to book *early*.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary