Re: Can we improve things?

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 14:50 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 14:05 -0400, Claudio Saavedra wrote:
>
> > Put another way, I would find it uncomfortable to say someone "sorry,
> > you don't belong here", so these situations should be avoided.
> >
> > I think that adding a requirement for the applicant to have someone from
> > the community to sponsor her/his request (similar to the approach used
> > in the Foundation membership) would contribute to avoid these situations
> > most of the times.
>
> Sure.  So we say,
>
> "Create a bug under the Planet module.  CC your sponsor, and in the
> initial comment write, "<sponsorname>, I want to be added to planet.
> Can you please vouch for me?"
>
> The sponsor then goes and adds a comment, "this human has been working
> on $cool_project and has been blogging about it (or other GNOME-related
> activities); his blog should definitely be syndicated on Planet".

That's exactly like how NewAccounts [1] work.  So, just use that process
for planet.  Pros:

1.  We already have a trusted team and process for it.  The process is
inferior to bugzilla some say, but we are fixing it.  Someone can also
hack mango such that adding to planet and the hackergotchi becomes like
enabling @gnome.org address and updating SSH keys.  In the future you
should be able to change your feed or hackergotchi yourself, like the
plan is for SSH keys and other stuff.  Baris is working on it.

2.  It's not public, like some have said is preferred.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/NewAccounts

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/