Re: Can we improve things?

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 13:39 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> > If you are feeling super-paranoid, we can have a "Planet" module on
> > bugzilla, and we can point people to a page with instructions:
> >
> > 1. Get a bugzilla account.
> >
> > 2. File a bug under the Planet module.
> >
> > 3. A number of Trusted People(tm) get automatically CCed on the bug;
> > this can be yourself and other old fogeys.
> >
> > 4. We debate to death on the bug itself, so that the requester can
> be
> > aware of why his blog is / is not appropriate.
> >
> > 5. The blog gets added to the SVN module.
>
> I like the bug approach.

Me too, but one thing I dislike of this bug approach is that to reject a
patch based on technical reasons is pretty different to reject someone's
feed because she/he doesn't have the merits, or other non-technical and
more social reasons.

Put another way, I would find it uncomfortable to say someone "sorry,
you don't belong here", so these situations should be avoided.

I think that adding a requirement for the applicant to have someone from
the community to sponsor her/his request (similar to the approach used
in the Foundation membership) would contribute to avoid these situations
most of the times.

I personally didn't ask Jeff to include my feed until two or threes
gnomie folks bugged me to do so, because I didn't want to feel rejected.
If that had happened, I'd had asked these people to back me up.

my 2 � from a low profile contributor's POV.

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra  <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl>

D�del Software Libre, Curic�   http://curico.diadelsoftwarelibre.cl