Re: Can we improve things?

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 10:30 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 10:30 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > planet-web already exists, but making it a free-for-all isn't a useful
> > solution.
>
> I re-read http://perkypants.org/blog/2005/06/10/1118362980/ and it
> mentions the possibility of making the SVN module essentially a
> free-for-all.
>
> .. And I quite like that possibility :)  We can certainly have some
> guidelines as to what a suitable blog is (though if we want to keep all
> the current feeds, simply "is vaguely a contributor to GNOME and tends
> to post in English" is about appropriate).  For p.g.o I think it has
> worked really well to *not* have strictly GNOME content; I'm sure many
> people appreciate ocassional cool pictures from a music festival or sexy
> recipes.
>
> If you are feeling super-paranoid, we can have a "Planet" module on
> bugzilla, and we can point people to a page with instructions:
>
> 1. Get a bugzilla account.
>
> 2. File a bug under the Planet module.
>
> 3. A number of Trusted People(tm) get automatically CCed on the bug;
> this can be yourself and other old fogeys.
>
> 4. We debate to death on the bug itself, so that the requester can be
> aware of why his blog is / is not appropriate.
>
> 5. The blog gets added to the SVN module.

I like the bug approach.

> Though I prefer the first option:  simply have some guidelines, and let
> people figure things out by common sense / meritocracy / whatever.

Problem is, most hackers do mildly abuse their commit access a couple
times first when they get it.  Mostly with no bad intention.  It
typically goes like "this patch of mine is so obviously fixing a bug,
lets commit it", or "this is obviously broken, lets fix it".  It takes a
couple reverts to get it...  So I expect we see quite a few "oh I have
commit access now, my blog definitely belongs to p.g.o, lets commit
it"...

Jeff has already pointed that for example he has a strict rule on
hackergotchis, and I think we all appreciate the uniform style of
hackergotchis on p.g.o.  Leave it to individuals and for example Zeenix
will add one with a GObject shirt ;).

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/