Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 04:17:05PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> The idea and board's decision was transcribed in board meeting minutes
> and sent to this least a few months ago.  A mild discussion started and
> there was no strong opposition to the membership.  I don't think just
> because a fool flamed us makes that decision any different.  We're not
> supporting OOXML.

The current reaction should not be seen as a consequence of bad
publicity due to that article.

Just quoting the original text from the notes (copy/paste from Luis):
| We have the opportunity of joining ECMA as a non-profit member. Jody has
| expressed an interest in being a representative for GNOME, and suggested
| it would also be good to get someone there from Abiword.
|
| ACTION: Behdad to contact Jody about the ECMA membership application and
| find a good candidate from Abiword to attend. Behdad to work on getting
| a press release for our membership.

>From above, I don't see how the community was informed that we would
support someone to discuss OOXML. I noted that we joined ECMA (I viewed
it as freedesktop 'make standards' work).. but I am now really sorry I
missed the rest of the thread.

My initial reaction to the article ranged from "I never heard that we
have a representative there -- it is not true" to "wtf wasn't this
mentioned somewhere".

--
Regards,
Olav