Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

What was done is done. For the future the board should really consider not sponsoring anyone to work on the OOXML format (and withdraw existing involvement on the behalf of the GNOME Foundation), as many people in the free software/FOSS community are working hard to try to prevent the OOXML from becoming a standard.  Technical issues are just that; anyone can contribute to the specs if it is his/her interests.  It should be fair to say the majority of the people in the community opposes making OOXML the "standard" document format.

Novell can sponsor Jody even if he is a former employee.

On 10/31/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org > wrote:
<quote who="Andy Tai">

> Maybe Jody's involvement can be just his personal activity and totally
> separated from, and have nothing to do with, GNOME.

His involvement is facilitated by our membership of ECMA. We were entirely
willing to do so.

- Jeff