Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 11:02:46AM -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:

> If I recall correctly, now that Gnome is a member organization
> of the ECMA, we can put people on committees without paying any
> more for each person.
>
> Jody is absolutely qualified to take part in discussions about
> the OOXML spreadsheet format.  But what about the other formats?
> If it's beneficial for us to be on this committee to scrutinize
> the specification, then surely it would be beneficial to have
> somebody scrutinize the word processor bits.

AMEN!  Yes, please.

We've be lucky enough to have Florian Reuter from Novell's OO.o team
involved to help review the WP side of things, and Hubert has taken
up some of the presentation spec.

While there is nothing for us to do currently, the TC is focused on
national ballot issues, it would be very helpful to have domain
experts involved in a detailed review of both OOX and ODF.

We're going to need to interact with these files.  Work spent
improving the specs saves us time.