Re: Question to candidates: what about next ODF?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 12:15:11AM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 06:23:57PM -0500, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:34:54PM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > >
> > > and I hope the Foundation will help make sure the users of
> > > GNOME can use the next version of ODF
> >
> > I don't see how the foundation can 'make sure' of anything in this
> > instance.  It can not force developers towards or away from either
> > spec.  That is simply not in it's mandate.
>
> I may be being obtuse, but what's not in it's mandate for ODF but is for
> OOXML? Or am I reading your words wrong?

I will try to be clearer.

The foundation can not force the developers to implement or not to
implement.  It has no control of the members.  Specificly, the
foundation can not require that

    - People implement MOOX
    - People not implement MOOX
    - People implement ODF
    - People not implement ODF

There is no difference in the situation between ODF, MOOX, or any
other technology.   By design, neither the foundation nor the board
has enforcement capabilities.

> > We all appear to agree
> > that implementing ODF is good for FLOSS.  However, beyond that
> > there's no stick, and a carrot (eg funding) seems inappropriate (why
> > this project vs the dozens of others).
>
> Or one another in particular? For a fake standard, there is funding?

I have no idea what you are talking about.  No money has been spent,
nor will any money be spent joining ECMA.  As we've stated on
numerous occasions the foundation is a non-profit entity and was
given a _FREE_ _NON-VOTING_ membership.

> > The board has offered to try and facilitate a membership in OASIS
> > for an interested candidate.  The will is there, but like so much
> > else we're short on man power.  We'd welcome patches to improve the
> > ODF exporter in Gnumeric or abiword.  I'd prefer to be spending my
> > time coding to these endless discussions of ISO-tactics.
>
> I think I might have missed this, where is it? I can't seem to find it,
> but it's late here and my googling skills may be already too hampered...

It == Gnumeric ODF support ?
    http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnumeric/trunk/plugins/openoffice/

It == Joining OASIS ?
    It's been mentioned numerous times in various forums.  Indeed
    when we first mentioned that I would be joining ECMA it was
    discussed that it would be good to get an OASIS membership too.

    If you (or anyone else) is interested talk to the board.   That
    is all it takes.  I'd love to do it, but the weekly meetings are
    too much of a commitment at this point.  My day job is not
    paying me to take part in standards organizations or FLOSS.