Re: Question to candidates: what about next ODF?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:09:31PM -0500, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 12:15:11AM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

> > > I don't see how the foundation can 'make sure' of anything in this
> > > instance.  It can not force developers towards or away from either
> > > spec.  That is simply not in it's mandate.
> >
> > I may be being obtuse, but what's not in it's mandate for ODF but is for
> > OOXML? Or am I reading your words wrong?
>
> I will try to be clearer.

Thank you! :)

> > > We all appear to agree
> > > that implementing ODF is good for FLOSS.  However, beyond that
> > > there's no stick, and a carrot (eg funding) seems inappropriate (why
> > > this project vs the dozens of others).
> >
> > Or one another in particular? For a fake standard, there is funding?
>
> I have no idea what you are talking about.  No money has been spent,
> nor will any money be spent joining ECMA.  As we've stated on
> numerous occasions the foundation is a non-profit entity and was
> given a _FREE_ _NON-VOTING_ membership.

Thank you.

> > > The board has offered to try and facilitate a membership in OASIS
> > > for an interested candidate.  The will is there, but like so much
> > > else we're short on man power.  We'd welcome patches to improve the
> > > ODF exporter in Gnumeric or abiword.  I'd prefer to be spending my
> > > time coding to these endless discussions of ISO-tactics.
> >
> > I think I might have missed this, where is it? I can't seem to find it,
> > but it's late here and my googling skills may be already too hampered...
>
> It == Gnumeric ODF support ?
>     http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnumeric/trunk/plugins/openoffice/
>
> It == Joining OASIS ?
>     It's been mentioned numerous times in various forums.  Indeed
>     when we first mentioned that I would be joining ECMA it was
>     discussed that it would be good to get an OASIS membership too.

This one. I don't recall seing it on foundation-list or foundation
announce, though. I confess not to follow *all* forum sites.

>     If you (or anyone else) is interested talk to the board.   That
>     is all it takes.  I'd love to do it, but the weekly meetings are
>     too much of a commitment at this point.  My day job is not
>     paying me to take part in standards organizations or FLOSS.

I'd love to, but it very likely requires some geographical proximity I
can't afford (US, or plane travels).

Best,
Rui

--
You are what you see.
Today is Pungenday, the 41st day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?