Re: Special GNOME event in California next week

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 13:35 -0500, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> On 4/13/07, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 13:42 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> > >
> > > Seriously though, this "surprise announcement" stuff is exactly the sort
> > > of behavior that the community despises when Novell[1] and Red Hat[2] do
> > > it, and now we're doing it to ourselves???
> >
> > What's wrong with building up some hype?   Maybe you can wait until the
> > announcement is out and then decide if you can blame anybody for it?
>
> Whether or not we like the announcement or not is, I think, completely
> beside the point.  The point is the openness of the board, which has a
> mandate to be open and responsive to members.  Dan posted this
> particularly relevant bit of the charter in his email:

You are making the same mistake IMO.  Blaming the board for something
you do not really know yet, but you will know in a week or so.  So, why
don't you just wait?  There is always time to blame.

I'll be more than happy to discuss this further, but at some point the
membership has got to understand that if the board wants to keep
something secret, there most probably is good reason to.  And asking for
vague details doesn't help anyone in any way.  Here is an opportunity
that a secret of the board will become public next week.  Feel free to
discuss it when it's out.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/