Re: Substituting "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

The decision of the board was reported in the last minutes -
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2006-October/msg00016.html (at the end):

* Where "Linux" is mentioned on the GNOME site, try to rephrase to avoid
mentioning any specific operating system. Where we refer to platforms on
which GNOME is available, replace with "GNU/Linux (commonly called Linux)"

Expanded:

- There are very few reasons to mention a specific operative system in
the GNOME documentation, program strings or GNOME websites. As someone
proved back in August, most current references are wrong since GNOME is
compatible with several operative systems, including GNU/Linux (commonly
called Linux), Solaris, HP-UX, BSD and Apple's Darwin (ref:
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.16/ )

- GNOME is not a "GNU/Linux desktop" or a "Linux desktop". It is a free
desktop. Make sure everybody writing documentation, news or other texts
about GNOME understand this clearly.

- In the very few cases where the operative systems need to be
enumerated, we recommend the use of the formula "GNU/Linux (commonly
called Linux)", that has already been used i.e. in the release notes.

Amen  :)

--
Quim Gil /// http://desdeamericaconamor.org | http://pinguino.tv