Re: Code Of Conduct

<quote who="Quim Gil">

> Instead of writing a new code why don't we just encourage people to be
> good persons, participants, contributors...?

That's precisely what it's for. It's not a list of *rules*, it's a statement
of intent, of expectations. Boiled down to the very basics, the Ubuntu Coc
just says - "be excellent to each other". There are lots of good examples of
*how* to be excellent to each other in it, though.

> > but it is an extremely useful statement nonetheless.
>
> Applied to GNOME, extremely useful what for?

As a statement of what we want our community to be.

> At the very end a CoC is a tool of control

?!

> Instead, you could be constructive and provide examples of CoC created for
> reasons different than the ones I'm suggesting.

I felt that my contribution of information and experience regarding the CoC
as used in Ubuntu might be perceived as 'constructive', particularly given
that the Ubuntu CoC was absolutely *NOT* created as "a tool of control", or
in the context of "desperate times". Your charges, my examples. I have not
suggested that GNOME should have a CoC because Ubuntu has one. I've related
my experiences of the unique benefits of Ubuntu's CoC, agreed with Murray's
suggestion that we should look into something similar, and disagreed with
various charges that a CoC is for dysfunctional communities. I didn't expect
to be attacked for it.

- Jeff

  "First-born children are less creative but more stable, while last-born
         are more promiscuous, says US research." - BBC News, 2005