Re: Minutes of the Board meeting 2005 June 15

Today at 8:41, Dave Neary wrote:

> My views on this are probably going to be unpopular, but anyway...

But I agree... they're going to be very unpopular :)

> IMHO, the GNOME logo should appear unadorned in all community uses
> (that is, uses which we don't regulate too much). If a user group
> wants to include the foot in a modified logo, then that should require
> explicit case-by-case approval by the board, after seeing the proposed
> usage. I would be happy for such approval to be given electronically.

How about slightly modified favicon (like the one we use on
http://prevod.org/, Serbian Gnome translation web page)?  And about a
logo surrounded by a white stripe to fit the overall design (on the
same page)? (if you need reasoning behind the first, it's quite
simple: favicons show up in bookmarks, and we all scan long lists of
bookmarks by icons first—you don't want someone to mistake Serbian
Gnome translation page with Gnome page, do you? :)

Such examples would be so numerous that a case-by-case approval would
mean only one thing: don't use the logo.

If that's what we're aiming for, then sure.

> This appears to be in line with the current proposals on the trademark
> guidelines.

IMHO, bureacracy is never working toward community development, though
we all admit it is sometimes necessary for stopping misuses.  And we
only want to stop misuses, AFAIK.  Right?

On the other hand, I don't have a clue about marketing and PR issues,
so don't trust me :)

Cheers,
Danilo