Re: Licensing and copyright

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 17:45, Rob Adams wrote:
> I don't believe that any part of GNOME is currently an FSF copyrighted
> package.  However, would the FSF be interested in receiving copyrights
> in parts of GNOME by authors interested in making these assignments?  In
> practice, I don't think that this would happen very often.  If not,
> would if be worthwhile for the GNOME Foundation to fill this role?

<disclaimer>
I am not a lawyer.  I am not on the GNOME Foundation board.  I don't
really know what I'm talking about.
</disclaimer>

I'm not sure I really see the utility in assigning copyright to the
GNOME Foundation.  That is, I don't really understand why anybody would
be willing to assign copyright to the GF and not to the FSF.  The FSF
already holds the copyright on many free software packages, and is
likely more knowledgeable about how to defend those copyrights.

And since this is the first time I've chimed in on this thread:  Rob,
thanks for taking the initiative on this.  I think this is really useful
for maintainers who don't want to spend years studying copyright law and
just want to write some good free software.

--
Shaun