Re: Licensing and copyright

Actually American copyright law is probably the strongest in the world
in terms of protecting rights of copyright holders.  If you're a
copyright holder, the US is really the place to be.  The GPL depends on
a strong notion of copyright to be enforceable; without copyright,
copyleft is not possible.  Most of the criticism of US copyright law you
might see on Slashdot and other places is that it's _too_ strong.
Learning everything you know about copyright and trademark law from
Slashdot won't give you a very good picture of what the law really is.

But as I've said about fifty times now, I am not proposing that anyone
be required to assign their copyright to anyone else, in the US, France,
or anywhere else.  The only thing I'm proposing is that a document be
created that explains how licensing works in Gnome, so developers know
where they stand.  As this discussion clearly demonstrates, there is a
great deal of misunderstanding of the GPL even amongst those who
vehemently defend it and release works under it.

-Rob