Re: Licensing and copyright

Some GNU packages are FSF-copyrighted, and some are not.  For those
which are not, typically the authors keep the copyright, but they
could do something else instead.

For those packages which are FSF-copyrighted, we already have a sysem
in place for handling the copyright assignments.  It is described in
the file maintain.texi, which I believe can be found in
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain.texi.  The maintainers look at each
contribution, decide what sort of papers are needed (if any, since tiny
changes don't require papers), and get papers signed *before* installing
the contribution.

If a part of GNOME is an FSF-copyrighted package, we would follow this
system.