Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:03:03AM +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 18:55 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:47:35PM +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > > Many developers don't want to contribute to proprietary software.
> > >
> > > I don't want to write a single line of code entering a proprietary
> > > program.
> >
> >   Then it's 100% clear that you don't want to code on Evolution,
> > nor on any of the GNOME core libraries, period, end of the story.
>
> I don't want my lines of code in proprietary software, but I don't want
> to exlude other Free Software that would be GPL incompatible.
>
> You presume too much.

  The GNOME libraries must be usable for running proprietary applications.
That why they are all released under the LGPL, MIT/X11, or other Licences
allowing such use.
If you "don't want my lines of code in proprietary software"
then I understand it as you opposing your code being used (by linking or
embedding the line is thin) in such application. As a result you should
not contribute to the GNOME libraries, because they are expected to have
such an use.

> > You can still work on GPL'ed applications on top if you want.
>
> I have a mixed mind right about now about a few problems with this
> community...

  Seems to me that you have a very different set of goals than most of
the people developping the GNOME platform.

Daniel