Re: BSD license vs. Evolution assigment (was Re: Copyright assignment)

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 12:07, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Rui Miguel Seabra">
>
> > Aren't you taking a lot of things for granted?
> >
> >     In exchange for your grant of copyright, Ximian does two things.
> >     First, we promise to use the GPL or another Debian-endorsed Free
> >     license for your code (although we may also grant other licenses on
> >     other terms).
> >
> > After passing the BS filter:
> >
> >     In exchange for your grant of copyright, Ximian does two things.
> >     First, we promise to use any license we choose to.
>
> Your BS filter is broken. It means: Your code will always be released under
> the GPL or another Debian-endorsed Free license, AS WELL AS (!!!) any other
> license we choose to.
>
> What, precisely, is wrong with that?

Some developers may not want to have their code included under some
other license. This is exactly the reason why they (the developer) would
choose the GPL over some other free license.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences