Re: BSD license vs. Evolution assigment (was Re: Copyright assignment)

<quote who="Rui Miguel Seabra">

> My outrage goes at the attempt of circunventing the GPL that this
> represents. It outrages me even more to see a GF board member stand by it.

If you think there is some kind of GPL circumvention going on here, then you
very, very seriously do not understand the issues at hand. Which makes you
look pretty silly, given all your over-the-top behaviour and tone, the fact
that many projects use copyright assignment (including GNU), and Evolution
has for aaaaages.

 1) author assigns copyright of his/her contributions to novell (THIS HAS
 NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GPL)

 2) novell can do whatever they like with the software, because THEY OWN THE
 COPYRIGHT (again, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GPL)

 3) as part of the copyright assignment agreement, novell agrees to release
 the contribution under an OSI-compatible license (this is where the GPL is
 only slightly related, as Evolution's current OSI-compatible license is the
 GPL)

There is absolutely no circumvention going on here whatsoever, and you need
to understand and realise that. Novell own the software. They release it
under the GPL because they choose to. End of story.

- Jeff

--
What's all that about?                           http://www.no-name-yet.com/

                    Mangoes are nature's edible orgasm.