Re: Questions for candidates

I think the fundamental idea - that package maintainers have the final
call on code changes, and others must earn the respect of the package
maintainers to have influence - can't really change within the
framework of a volunteer community.  You can't really impose rules on
a volunteer community.  "Ownership," over concrete things (code trees)
is about the most complicated rule that can really be imposed
institutionally - multi-disciplinary directional strategy has to be
arrived at culturally.  But within this model, there is a lot of room to
breathe.

First, you need to be clear on where that model applies.  Maintainership
is on a module level, not a GNOME-wide level.  DV has no more control
over the direction of epiphany than marco does on libxml.  Any
influence *anybody* has on the direction of GNOME as a whole is
through earned respect and sound ideas, and that respect is not tied
to maintainership (although maintainership can be a way to earn it).

>From a project-wide perspective, it's hard to defend the idea that the
maintainers are the only ones that decide the project's direction.
The release and UI teams have made bigger sweeping changes than almost
any maintainer-driven initiatives.  In day-to-day development work,
there are non-maintainers who have as much ability to influence a
given module as anyone else.

I think that GNOME has a culture that recognizes the contributions of
non-coders.  And given a fundamental respect for the contributions,
anyone has the ability to earn an active role in the direction of
GNOME.  But I think that there is sometimes a feeling of helplessness in
the non-maintainer communities.  I suspect that it mostly stems from the
fact that there is an established path to individual respect as a
coder, and not in some of the other disciplines.  So perhaps the next
step to changing the culture is to start looking at ways to establish
that path for non-developers.  But my mail has gone on for long enough
now, I think :)

Have fun,
-dave