Re: About the future of X (Windows)

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 06:56, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 04:29, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:41:20PM -0500, Jody Goldberg was heard to remark:
> > >
> > > Just on the basis on the extensions mentioned above it seems fairly
> > > clear where our preferred branch lies.  Keith and his faction appear
> > > to have historically been more attuned to the needs of our
> > > communities.   This split seems very similar to egcs vs gcc.  The
> > > best way I can see to heal the rift would be to come down clearly in
> > > support of Keith's work and proposals.  The sooner the core X folk
> > > accept the arguments of Keith et all and start being more responsive
> > > to the needs of their community the better.
> >
> > I would agree, except for one important thing: there seems to be some
> > weird-ass backstabbing and accusations of lying and so on that I haven't
> > gotten to the bottom of.   Keith may be an angel, but he has mud all
> > over him, and that's bad.
> >
> > Gnome needs to be on the side of innovation and responsiveness,
> > but people are saying bad things about Keith, and if there's any truth
> > to it, it does not benefit Gnome to take sides with "the bad guy".
> > There's a bit of a stink with secret plans and cabals and vested
> > interests and all that shit that developers hate.
> So Linas, if someone starting telling everyone you where a slimeball and
> a backstabber you would like the GNOME community to say 'Sorry Linas,
> from our history of interacting with you we know you are a good guy, but
> as long as you have this mud on you we do not want to have anything to
> do with you. We where considering coming out and supporting you, but we
> do not want to risk being on the side of the bad guy.'

Especially as there's only one side of the story that came out in the
open. I heard different things, and I know that Keith and the people he
was in contact with will let their side of the story known, so that we
can make an informed decision. Right now, our decisions are about as
impartial as PR from SCO (not to take another more accurate example).

Cheers

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>