Re: About the future of X (Windows)

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 06:43:08PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Unfortunately, this isn't true. We are relying on X11 innovations,
> including fontconfig, Xft, Xr, Xc, Xcursor, RENDER, and so forth.
>
> So we are expecting (in fact we are wanting) API innovations.  If we
> had two groups with *different* API innovations, that would suck
> mightily.

Just on the basis on the extensions mentioned above it seems fairly
clear where our preferred branch lies.  Keith and his faction appear
to have historically been more attuned to the needs of our
communities.   This split seems very similar to egcs vs gcc.  The
best way I can see to heal the rift would be to come down clearly in
support of Keith's work and proposals.  The sooner the core X folk
accept the arguments of Keith et all and start being more responsive
to the needs of their community the better.

There will be egos bruised and some social discomfort but with luck
the irate developers will continue to contribute and would
eventually see the benefits of the new processes.