Re: Non-free software and GNOME (The conclusion)

Salut,

Bohhh,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 02:15:43PM -0500, Wolfgang Sourdeau was heard to remark:
> La plume l?g?re, ? Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 10:51:20AM +1300, heure d'inspiration,
> Rob Brown-Bayliss ?crivait en ces mots:
> > It's sad, but it's true.  Encouraging large software firms to develop
> > for Gnome can only be good for Gnome.
>
> 1) false, if we have an interesting platform for them to develop on, they
>    will certainly notice it and develop applications for it.

??? are you trying to say that
   Encouraging large software firms to develop for Gnome is *BAD* for Gnome?
???

> 2) large software companies don't need us to adverstise for them. Otherwise,
>    it will just show we are not confident in ourselves enough to develop
>    free programs to replace their proprietary ones.

I don't think you understand that 'large software firms' are just
collections of people.   When that collection of people decide to
use Gnome for software developement, and make a public showing of that,
and the best that the Gnome Foundation can do is give them the finger,
rigid and stiff, that in no way benefits Gnome.

You should understand that the marketing deperatment, for small and even
medium-sized companies, often consists of just one person.  By
alienating that one person, you do the most visible possible damage
that you can: this is the guy/gal who can write favorable (or
unfavorable) press releases.  You want them to say nice things about
Gnome.

Let me put it this way: say you were at a party, and you called someone
there a freind. But then this freind made a face at you, sneered, and
walked out of the room.  Are you going to call them a freind next time?
How will you feel?

> 3) prostitution is not a good way of doing things. Promoting proprietary
>    programs is just plain prostitution.

What???  Do you have a job that pays a salary? Then you are a prostitute.
Have you received grant from the MacArthur Foundation? Then you are a
prostitute.  Unless you don't have any need for money,  and have never
done anything dirty,  you should not use the word 'prostitute', which
implies doing something pleasureable, but dirty and demeaning, for money.

The reality is that most people have to work for a living, and that
is not going to change any time soon.  Implying that the only people
who can contribute to Gnome are holy monks who are out of work, who
are unemployed, is... is... inane.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>