Re: changed charter, new elections proposal

Bart Decrem <bart eazel com> writes:

> I propose that we post a news item on Gnotices titled "Elections!".  People
> nominate themselves by replying to that news item, and below that people can
> comment on it.  So there'd be one news item and then a thread for each
> candidate who nominates him/herself.  That's very simple and makes it easy for
> anyone to see who's nominated and what people are saying about them.

Hmm ....

The idea with the thread which people can follow is good, but I don't think
it's such a good idea to have people nominate themselves on Gnotices.

Just look at how followups to Gnotices posts normally go; a lot of people
reply, especially to such an "interesting" topic and you'll get a lot of noise
there so it will be hard to follow the important posts.

Also, Gnotices isn't such a good medium to fully track a thread and keep
informed, a mailing list is much better suited for this job. Since the
foundation-list is open to everyone, everyone who likes to follow the discussion
is free to subscribe here, so we should do the nominations here.

Btw. I also don't think a public forum like GNotices is such a good place
to hold the nominations. Almost all political parties hold their nomination
procedures in some place where basically everyone can attend but which looks
more like a closed builing rather than writing some "we're party XXX; if you
want to be nominated for the presidential elections, call us now ..." in a
newspaper.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)