Re: Random thoughts on this elections (was Re: Candidacy (Michael Meeks))

Sergey Panov <sipan sipan ne mediaone net> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 11:05:41AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
>  I am afraid you are wrong. Board will be eventually forced to make
> technical decisions, as there will be some disagreements on direction
> and standards.
>
> The first few issues on the list are:
> 1) Standard installer/updater (from Eazel | Helix | RedHat )

I think the board will entirely stay out of this. Each of these
commercial ventures is interesting but none has made a request to be
an official part of GNOME.

> 2) What should stay in gnome-lib and what should go to gtk+

That's up to the gtk+ and gnome-libs maintainers. Maybe we'd mediate
if there was a dispite.

> 3) Eazel and Helix (and, at some point, RedHat and Sun) might
>    have different and contradicting views/requirements with
>    respect to design of some common parts (Bonobo, Gconf, OAF,
>    gnome-print, ...)

The board can't force maintainers to do what it says. At most it could
mediate and try to foster a spirit of cooperation.

 - Maciej