Re: Random thoughts on this elections (was Re: Candidacy (Michael Meeks))

Sergey,

I tend to agree with you, but many people have expressed great hesitancy
about having the board be too heavily involved in making technical
decisions beyond overseeing releases.  In the election overview document
(foundation.gnome.org/overview.html), we tried to touch on this issue by
saying that:

"The board will arbitrate technical disputes between maintainers."

So it doesn't quite give the board decision making authority, but it
provides for a role for them to help resolve the sorts of conflicts you
describe.  We can then see how that plays out over time.  The general
rule being to try and keep the board's role in technical issues very
limited, and maintaining existing ways of dealing with technical
conflicts as much as possible.

Bart