Re: Candidacy (Bart Decrem) (was: Re: Candidacy (Michael Meeks))

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 09:38:59PM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
> > There has been one unmistakable exception to this trend, and that is
> > Bart Decrem. Remember the level of activity on this list while Bart
> > was on vacation? Pretty much zero. And believe me, you don't even want
> > to know how the foundation would be turning out if it were left up to
> > just us hackers and the corporate lawyers to work out.
>
> I completely agree with Maciej's statements above.  Bart has done for the
> GNOME Foundation what no other person in the GNOME community could have
> done, or would have done.

I hate to AOL here, but since this is like a "campaign" I guess AOLing is
legal.

Anyway, I think that it would be dangerous not to have Bart on the board.
Bart gets things done, he knows the hackers and is respected by all the
hackers.  None of the hackers are good in organizational things.  And while
I'm a believer in keeping the anarchy that has made GNOME so much fun, I
think that we need to have a functioning board that does the boring stuff,
where anarchy just doesn't cut it.

Another thing is that we all know the tendency of us hackers to decend into
completely useless flamewars over useless topics.  As far as I've seen, Bart
is willing to compromise when it makes sense and thus gets consensus from
others.  And this is important.

While he is doing this on Eazel's dime and while he does have a financial
motivation from Eazel and GNOME being successful, I'm sure there are other
and more noble motivations there as well.  At least that's the impression I
get.  From what I've seen, none of the things that Bart did while
the foundation was forming gave any unfair advantage to Eazel, and in fact
he seemed to be concerned about Eazel getting any such unfair advantage.
So I think that he would continue in this "mode" when on the board as well.

Hmm, maybe I'm just rambling.

And no I haven't received any money from Bart to send this.  Speaking of
that, my address is 6161 Arnoldson, Ct. San Diego, CA 92122.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   I killed the cat.   -- Sid Vicious