Re: Candidate

Mark,

When I co-founded the Open Source Initiative, my intent then was that it be
a marketing program for Free Software to business. I was _horrified_ when Eric
Raymond pushed it in the direction of a "different movement", and this is part
of what led me to walk off of the OSI board.

When I first proposed the Open Source Definition, it was called the Debian
Free Software Guidelines and it still exists in that form. RMS approved of it,
in an email to me, at that time. It's ESR's positioning that caused RMS to
deprecate Open Source.

I work closely with FSF. I recently visited a large corporation as their
representative, at their request.

If you want to be clear about where I am coming from regarding Open Source and
Free Software, read http://www.perens.com/OSD.html and other documents at
perens.com .

Regarding the non-free documentation license, although ESR proposed it,
I don't believe that the OSI board is behind it. It happens that I am
working on a book under the GNU Free Documentation License, and am attempting
to get a process started for companies that are involved in Free Software
to sponsor the production of books that are themselves Free Software. I am
working with a large vendor that you all know on this. I will talk about it
in more detail when I can.

	Thanks

	Bruce

From: Mark Galassi <rosalia galassi org>