Re: [fdn-ann] messaging statement

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Bart Decrem <bart@eazel.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Maciej,
> >
> > I think the Gnome Steering Committee is going to announce that StarOffice is going to be
> > integrated with Gnome Office (or whatever the wording is that you guys came up with).
> > So I don't see why that couldn't be part of the same press release as the Gnome
> > Foundation announcement, except, I guess, for the fact that the Gnome foundation
> > announcement is coming from Miguel, and not the Gnome Steering Committee - but I don't
> > think that's a material distinction.
>
> The Foundation announcement (in terms of the press release) is coming
> from "The GNOME Project", not from Miguel. Of course, Miguel will
> speak on behalf of the GNOME Project at the press conference. At least
> that is my understanding. BTW, I do think we should get more people
> representing the community rather than corporations in the press
> conference. We have Miguel and then it's all corporate
> executives. That risks having the press conference sound like lots of
> corporate stuff, and a little about GNOME.
>
> I know this is an 11th hour suggestion but I suggest adding more
> people (perhaps, again, Havoc and/or George) that can represent the
> GNOME community.

I disagree.  The message is that key industry players (i.e.
corporations) are getting behind Gnome, not that the same people who
have been behind Gnome to date are still behind it.  The fact that Gnome
is becoming a foundation is not at interesting to journalist as who's
behind it and what that means to the market.  Besides, we're already
pushing the envelope on the numbers of speakers.

> > If you guys feel strongly about this, we could have two press releases, but it does end
> > up making life more complicated.
>
> Well, the office suite integration thing is a completely separate
> issue from the foundation. We could have a "look at all this cool
> GNOME stuff" press release that summarizes all of it, but the office
> suite merge intention announcement is not really related to our
> formation of the foundation except temporally.

Office suite and browser integration are core parts of the unity message
as well.  The fact that Mozilla, Gnome and OpenOffice are all accepted
by each other makes key pieces of the alternative development
environment message.

--
Russell Castronovo
Public Relations