Re: [fdn-ann] messaging statement

Bart Decrem <bart@eazel.com> writes:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> I think the Gnome Steering Committee is going to announce that StarOffice is going to be
> integrated with Gnome Office (or whatever the wording is that you guys came up with).
> So I don't see why that couldn't be part of the same press release as the Gnome
> Foundation announcement, except, I guess, for the fact that the Gnome foundation
> announcement is coming from Miguel, and not the Gnome Steering Committee - but I don't
> think that's a material distinction.

The Foundation announcement (in terms of the press release) is coming
from "The GNOME Project", not from Miguel. Of course, Miguel will
speak on behalf of the GNOME Project at the press conference. At least
that is my understanding. BTW, I do think we should get more people
representing the community rather than corporations in the press
conference. We have Miguel and then it's all corporate
executives. That risks having the press conference sound like lots of
corporate stuff, and a little about GNOME.

I know this is an 11th hour suggestion but I suggest adding more
people (perhaps, again, Havoc and/or George) that can represent the
GNOME community.

> If you guys feel strongly about this, we could have two press releases, but it does end
> up making life more complicated.

Well, the office suite integration thing is a completely separate
issue from the foundation. We could have a "look at all this cool
GNOME stuff" press release that summarizes all of it, but the office
suite merge intention announcement is not really related to our
formation of the foundation except temporally.

 - Maciej