Re: The timestamp thing

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Stephane Delcroix <stephane delcroix org> wrote:
> List,
>
>        That issue is _not_ ignored at all, and is on my top 3 priority list
> (that list is public btw). It's not solved yet cause a proper fix is a
> huge thing to do, that require rewriting a lot of parts of f-spot.

I personnaly appreciate the great work done by the f-spot team.
I saw a number of threads on this issue, each of them degenerating
into flame wars, but never saw a description of what would be an
acceptable solution for you (I may have not looked closely enough,
though).
You have some good points in why this "feature" is desirable in some
cases, and I am ready to accept that a proper solution is harder than
just throwing away the current behaviour.

>        If you're under the impression that I'm ignoring it, you're not looking
> closely enough, or not on the right time scale. I just stopped
> discussing it over and over again cause discussion doesn't write code.

I completly agree with it, but I would love some comment on why a
hidden gconf key is not a proper solution in the mean time. Once
again, If someone provides a patch for it, would it be accepted ?

I think that a proper fix involves some UI in the import dialog (which
requires a huge rework for other reasons BTW). You did an incredible
work on the preference dialog once you had some nice mockups a while
ago. Maybe a good mockup of a new import dialog integrating a fix for
this is what you need to get started.

Please, rest assured that I have a high opinion of your work, but it
would be even better if you provided some answer for these questions
;)

Best regards.

PS: where is your priority list ? I don't see this issue here:
http://f-spot.org/To_Do

--
Aurélien Naldi