Re: f-spot-import and the timezone workaround

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Paul Wellner Bou<paul purecodes org> wrote:
[...]
> In my opinion F-Spot's time handling bugs should be fixed _before_
> implementing any other functionality. So I would fix it similar to this
> branch, and then implement a time zone handling, which would include a) a
> field in the db storing the time zone and b) a possibility to adjust the
> time zone together with the date time in the adjust time dialog (and
> eventually a time zone choice on importing, too).

This would be more than enough for me and it has been a VERY annoying
thing for me. I don't care much to have the perfect time in my
pictures but shifting again and again at each import (I tend to
reimport from time to time for testing) can not be possibly right (no
flame intented)

>> Does anyone know if such a fix has a chance to enter the main branch soon ?
>
> Hopefully. There are some discussions going on regarding this topic, for
> three years yet. Unfortunately the "don't touch the time" way of doing was
> rejected and I have no idea what an acceptable alternative would/should look
> like.

Indeed, I have seen a huge number of emails on the subject (and got a
number of angry comments from friends to who I recommended f-spot).
Unfortunately, these discussion turn quickly into flames and nothing
seems to come out of it!

I would love to read more comments from the maintainer on it. As far
as I remember one of them promised a fix before 1.0, so I guess they
have some ideas on a possible solution..

IMHO, this could be fixed while redesigning the import dialog, adding
some text here and a checkbox or combolist to enable the user to
select how time should be handled. Such a setting would be remembered
from one import to another.

I for one always set my camera to local time, so a "no change" option
would be great.

maybe the following options would make sense:

time in my camera is set to  |  local time (no time shifting)
 |            this is my case
                                          |  UTC (shift according to
timezone) |             the current behaviour ?
                                          |  all messed up: shift by
----- hours  |            is it needed or should it be left to the
current time shifting dialog ?

(yes, I know I suck at mockups and phrasing)

Comments ?

Best regards

--
Aurélien Naldi