Re: f-spot-import and the timezone workaround

Hi,

Does it offer a choice about time handling or does it just removes it
all together ?

It just removes all date shiftings in F-Spot. No dates will be converted to UTC or to local times (except the dates of the import rolls, which are stored in UTC in the f-spot db). The point is: Don't modify photo dates without storing the time information! Because if you do, you'll shift the times several times on reimporting in f-spot (and/or other apps). (So F-Spot isn't creating a vendor, but an application lock for the user as it is not possible to use other applications showing metadata if you want them to show the time.)

In my opinion F-Spot's time handling bugs should be fixed _before_ implementing any other functionality. So I would fix it similar to this branch, and then implement a time zone handling, which would include a) a field in the db storing the time zone and b) a possibility to adjust the time zone together with the date time in the adjust time dialog (and eventually a time zone choice on importing, too).

Does anyone know if such a fix has a chance to enter the main branch soon ?

Hopefully. There are some discussions going on regarding this topic, for three years yet. Unfortunately the "don't touch the time" way of doing was rejected and I have no idea what an acceptable alternative would/should look like.

Regards
Paul.