Re: Display bigger version of a photo on a tooltip

Hello.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Steve Dobson
<steve dobson syscall org uk> wrote:
> Hi Michael
>

>  On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 11:10 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>  > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Steve Dobson
>  > <steve dobson syscall org uk> wrote:
>  >
>  > >  Having said that I'll admit that I don't read documentation most of the
>  > >  time.  I'll only do that when I start using an application a lot, unless
>  > >  I use an application a lot I'm not likely to remember the keyboard
>  > >  shortcuts.  The problem with your feature request is that it is fine for
>  > >  new users but would be a real pain to experienced users, or people who
>  > >  just want to look at the thumbnails.
>  >
>  > I'm curious - why are you saying, that this would make f-spot a
>  > PITA for experienced users? If you just want to browse your photo
>  > collection, all you'd have to do is to *NOT* hover of an image, so
>  > that the bigger version isn't shown.
>
>  Because pop-ups generally are to advanced users.  Pop-ups are there to
>  tell you something you don't know, to act as a memory jog.  Advanced
>  users know this information and anything that appears on the screen
>  tends to catch the eye and distract you from the job at hand.

Yes. But if you only have a "tiny" thumbnail at hand, then a larger
version of the image might help to solve the job that needs to be
done.

>  Think how bothersome driving a car would be if every five minutes a
>  little voice told you "Pressing the break peddle can be used to slow the
>  car down."  As I've said in another post "Clippy" from Microsoft was not
>  well received by many.

Fine. And what does that have to do with what David suggested (please
see subject!)?

>  > I actually would like to see his feature request be implemented.
>  > But I think that the larger version of the image should not be
>  > shown right away when hovering. Instead, there should be a small
>  > delay (like 500ms?).
>
>  As I understand it what David is suggesting is not to zoom the current
>  image under the mouse but just that a little pop-up appears telling you
>  of all the keyboard short cuts (or just the one that are important).

That's not what he suggested. Neither here nor in the bug report.
Just check the subject of his post!

>  If you think you might like this feature

I like the feature he suggested.

> just write a few short cuts on
>  a postit note and stick it to your screen[1] near where the pointer is.

Why should I? I dislike the feature you're saying the he suggested
and which he clearly did not suggest.

>  Now look at the display as ask yourself "Is this not in the way?"

It would. But that's not what he said.

>  This all depends upon how you use the mouse/pointer.  I often the
>  pointer as a quick visual reference point if I need to look away from
>  the screen so it is not far from where my focus of attention is or will
>  return to shortly.

Fine. I tend to do this as well. Because of that, his idea would
very much support me in doing "my job". It would allow me to
more easily find the pointer again and maybe help me remember
what I did, before I got distracted.

>  > >  After all to be consistent not just the 'v' key would have to be listed.
>  > >  All the other short key cuts and the other controls too, like
>  > >  Ctrl-Wheelmouse back and for to enlarge/shrink the thumbnails.
>  >
>  > Where should they be listed?
>
>  In the help text under the help menu item, which is where I found them.

Yes. But nobody ever suggested to change that.

Michael