Re: importing and saving of pictures

> I will add the patch to the bug in Bugzilla, but it is up to the
> maintainers whether it gets included or not.  Hopefully it will ;)
> Otherwise you'll have to apply the patch yourself.

D'oh! I will have to learn how to apply patches then. Oh well, I'll give
it a try anyway.

> If we detected them automatically, then we would have to check each
> one and see if the altered exif data affects where they should be
> stored

I might be totally wrong here -in that case please, correct me- but
wouldn't it be dead easy to know if such data changed or not? I mean,
data that affects where files are stored can only be changed through
edit → adjust time. So if I select ten, twenty, fifty pictures and
change their date only those files would have to be checked and maybe
moved. It's not like the whole image database needs to be checked every
time you perform any possible operation: only "adjust time" would
trigger it, and only on the selected files.

Frankly, I fail to see how that would be hard on CPU -or any other
resource- usage.

> (in this case, if the date changes.  But if my patch goes well,
> we might see later versions where you could import based on other exif
> data, like camera make/model, gps location data, resolution, etc.

Well, this would pretty much invalidate the argument above. But, can that kind of data be changed from within f-spot at all?

> If I understand you correctly, you mean like a "Update Photo Database"
> type button or menu item that will iterate through all the pictures
> and update them accordingly?

Yeah, kind of. But I don't know how feasible it would be.

Cheers man.