Re: importing and saving of pictures

David,

On 2/27/07, David Prieto <frandavid100 gmail com> wrote:
Hi Michael,

> I am currently working on a patch for bug# 329040, which describes
> exactly this.  The bug you opened (412674) looks like a duplicate and
> should be closed.  After I attach the patch, try it out and see if it
> works as you would like.

Yes, that bug seems to describe my problem quite exactly. Is your patch
likely to make it to an upcoming release, or should I download and apply
it myself? Cause it's something I've never done.

I will add the patch to the bug in Bugzilla, but it is up to the
maintainers whether it gets included or not.  Hopefully it will ;)
Otherwise you'll have to apply the patch yourself.

> There should be a utility to "re-import" photos based on updated exif
> data.

I'm really just guessing here, but how intensive would it be to
re-import it, as you say, automatically when exif data is changed from
within f-spot? I mean, detect exif changes to a given number of files if
f-spot just performed an operation on them, and move them if the date
was changed.

If we detected them automatically, then we would have to check each
one and see if the altered exif data affects where they should be
stored (in this case, if the date changes.  But if my patch goes well,
we might see later versions where you could import based on other exif
data, like camera make/model, gps location data, resolution, etc.)
This could potentially become very intensive if the number of files
being dealt with is large.

There could also be a menu entry used to detect exif changes to any file
in the collection, just in case someone changes the data from outside
f-spot, but I'm not sure up to which point it would be useful so I'm not
advocating it, just throwing a thought.

If I understand you correctly, you mean like a "Update Photo Database"
type button or menu item that will iterate through all the pictures
and update them accordingly?  That might be a good way to go about it,
because people might not want to update where their photos are stored
when they change exif data.  However, this means we would have to
check every picture, and this could become an intractably
time-consuming process.

> It would also be nice if you
> could specify to import to a folder based on the day they are
> imported, rather than the exif data.

That would certainly make my life as an user quite easier.

Glad to see someone other than myself would like this feature.  Maybe
it will get implemented soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman